The Cultural History Collections
The cultural history collections kept at the storage facility known as Kulturlagret are a result of nearly 140 years of accumulation. Based on the natural history collection of elementarläroverket, the grammar school in Vänersborg, a vision of starting a museum was implemented. In 1872, a section of the school building was dedicated to the first Vänersborg Museum.
Collections From all Over the World
In 1885, a building was erected in Vänersborg to serve as a museum. The initiator and donor of this project was the successful merchant and collector Adolf Andersohn (1820-1887). In 1891, when the museum opened its doors to the public, the exhibitions containded objects from all over the world. For instance, extensive art and cultural history collections, assembled during his travels to Europe, North Africa an the Middle East, were brought to Vänersborg by Adolf Andersohn himself. Visitors could also look at natural history collections from both Sweden and Africa. Last but not least, a fine seed collection from cultivated Swedish plants managed to find its way into the collections and the museum.
Objects from Dalsland, Vänersborg and Göta Älvdalen
During the initial years of the 20th century, an acquisition process began which resulted in a rich collection of folklore and archaeological material from the area surrounding Vänersborg, southern Dalsland and Göta Älvdalen. During the 1920-1930s, these collections were augmented with craft and guild objects mostly from the Vänersborg area.
During the latter part of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st, collections have expanded, mostly through gifts or documentation activity. Collections worth mentioning in this regard are Televerkstaden in Vänersborg, A.F Carlsson’s shoe factory in Vänersborg, straw craft from Dalsland, Johanna Brunsson’s school of weaving in Stockholm, textiles and fabrics, ceramics from Sweden and East India, dolls houses from Lundby, toys and bakery equipment.